We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Hello everyone! I hope you had a wonderful week! As promised, I will be providing the directions for making your own dice box for any type of dice rolling game. As it turns out, my husband and I both had the idea and made each other a dice box. It was so sweet, but we also couldn’t help but laugh! It was cheaper and easier than I expected. It was also a lot of fun to make! So, without any further ado, this is how I made the dice box.
First, I went to Michael’s to gather all the supplies, which are:
- Wood box decoration of your choice. I got my husband a book that opened to a box and he got me a slender box with decorations on top.
- 80 grit Sanding Blocks (from Home Depot)
- We used Acrylic paint because it dries faster.
- Paint Brushes
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Any Stencils or decorations that you would like to add
All of this was way cheaper than I expected, but of course I used coupons. Coupons are everybody’s best friend! Then, we went to Home Depot to get sand blocks, so that way we can make sure everything is smooth for painting. Which that is the first step in this process is to sand all corners and all sides. My husband taught me the trick to sanding, which is to sand with the grain of the wood.
Here are the steps that you need to take when making the dice box:
- Sand all corners and all sides. Get a paint brush to brush off all excess dust off the box.
- Prime paint the box. We used white paint since we are doing color, the color will pop.
- After everything is dry, start painting the colors you want on the box. Let it dry
- Paint all decorations such as stencils, writing, and tiny details. Let it dry.
- Measure, with a ruler, the dimensions for the inside of the box. Then, start cutting the felt to said dimensions. Something that makes this step easier is to measure the corners, then cut the corners out of the felt so that the felt just folds right in.
- While you are measuring, start the hot glue gun and let it sit until it gets hot.
- When the hot glue gun gets hot, start gluing to the back side of the felt. Finally, stick the felt inside the box and let it dry.
Simple and fun. I can’t wait to try these out on game night! I hope you enjoy and if you make a dice box of your own, I would love to see it and make sure you tag me @nerdmomwithablog or #nerdmomwithablog! I will see you in the next post! 🙂