We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Hello everyone! I am back! I am so excited to be back after a long and restful two weeks. I actually got to spend some quality time with my daughter for her spring break, which was really nice. And speaking of spring break, I know that some of you are on your spring break now or will be here soon, so I wanted to give you some tips on different activities you can do that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
This all started when I asked my daughter what she wanted to do for her spring break, she said that she wanted to go to the movies, she wanted a mani/pedi, and she wanted to go to the Aquarium. Now, for a family who budgets ALL the time, I started thinking of ways to save money. Then, I looked at my daughter in disbelief that she thought of doing all of these all in a week. It’s amazing how their minds work and I mean…can mommy have a movie date and a mani/pedi every week too lol? Anyway, back to reality…
So, I did find a way to save money and I did find a way to make it all work where we actually had a really fun spring break. Here is the break down:
- Plan an at home mani/pedi. For this, you will probably have to do most of the work, but let me tell you that by the end of the day, I felt relaxed and I felt like I did go to the salon. See…that morning, as I was looking at salons, I came across the price, which was about $70 and up. So, I thought that I could probably do this at home. First, I took my daughter to the store (we went to Kroger, but you can go anywhere) and I let her pick out some nail polish. Then, I got some foot soak, nail file, cuticle remover, toe separators, and a block that smooths your nails. All of this cost me about $25-30, so that is instant savings of about $40. Second, we got home and we made ourselves a homemade face mask. Third, I filled the bathtub with warm water and the foot soak, we put on our face masks, and we soaked for about 15 minutes. Fourth, we got out, washed our faces, and then started painting our nails. We did it just like the nail techs did where we filed, shaped, put lotion on, then we put the nail polish on. All in all…it took 4 steps and we had a blast!
- Have a movie day. This one was especially fun because we got to set up everything together. First, we made ourselves a cute little fort. We put some blankets on the ground with a lot of pillows. Second, we popped some popcorn and put it in the middle spot for us to share. Then, finally, I let her pick out a movie (on Netflix) and we watched it. So simple yet so fun! Plus, we already had everything in the house, so it was FREE!
- Set out one day for a family fun day. This is where the Aquarium comes in. My husband took a day off, so that way we can have a family fun day. We asked where she wanted to go and she wanted to go to the Aquarium. So, we bought our tickets online and there we went. We had such a blast because this is the only day that we really wanted to save up for and have fun. We got to take home pictures from our day, we got to pet some sting rays, and we got to eat lunch together. This one did cost us the most (it just depends on your local Aquarium/restaurants), but since we set out this one day of fun, it was worth it!
- Enjoy the sunshine. So, there was only one day for this, but sometimes you just have to get out and enjoy the sunshine. I asked what was the one thing that she wanted to do before she goes back to school and she said to ride her bike. Therefore, we put on our shoes and I let her ride her bike around the neighborhood. She even got a little tired towards the end and wanted to walk her bike back, so it was a win win for this mama. Her energy burned out, we got our exercise in, and we got to rest when we got back.
- Play board games. I will always say this in any post, but I truly believe that playing board games will get rid of any boredom. There were a couple of days during our spring break where it rained, so I decided to make it into a board game day. I let her pick out a few games that she wanted to play and we played them. We even got to make some ice cream cones with homemade ice cream. This was free as well since we had everything.
So, that was our week of spring break. It was relaxing, fun, saved money, and we got in our family time. I know that some families plan a vacation for spring break, but I thought it would be fun to have a staycation and have a fun filled week at home. I also know that this is a short post, but I wanted this to be short and sweet that is filled with some tips. Well, I hope you all enjoy and I hope you all have/had a great spring break! I have enjoyed my time, but I am so excited to be back! As always, I hope you all have a great weekend and I will see you in the next post!