We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Does your family have a Holiday tradition?? My family’s tradition is to make hot chocolate, put the Christmas decorations up, bring out the Advent Calendars or Elf on The Shelf, and to watch Christmas movies. My favorite (although tasking at times with a toddler) tradition is to bake for all my family. For 2 years now, every Christmas, I bake the Grinch cookies. My family goes nuts every time I make these because I only make them once a year. Plus, these are by far the moistest cookies that I ever bake. Our tradition when I do bake these cookies is to make the cookies, make hot chocolate, and we gather around to watch and read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
I will share the recipe and talk about how to make these later in this post, but I wanted to let you know that I did find these on Pinterest, but I have modified it to my own version. Now, onto how to make these cookies. It really is a simple recipe and there is a secret ingredient that I thought I would never use, but it really does make the cookies better. I have learned, from baking these cookies, that the secret ingredient does save time when you are in a pinch. These cookies only take about less than 30 minutes to make. How awesome is that! I know for me being a mom and a housewife, you need to have something that takes 30 minutes or less, especially if you and your family is craving something sweet. So with the no further ado, I will now let you in on my secret ingredient, which is bum bum bum…..cake mix!!
Once again, I never would have thought to put cake mix into a cookie mix, but it really does make these cookies so moist and so good. The cake mix that I use and will only use for this cookie is French Vanilla Cake Mix. I usually only use Duncan Hines, but every store has been either selling out of these or not selling them anymore. However, I have tried generic French Vanilla Cake Mix and it has turned out the same. So, you should be good on trying any brand of this cake mix. Now, I will share my recipe with you, so here it is:
1 Box of French Vanilla Cake Mix
½ Cup of Vegetable Oil
3-4 Drops of Green Food Coloring
1 Small Bowl of Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar for dusting
Sprinkles or Heart Candies (I have used the small Valentine hearts, but you can use any size)
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- In your mixing bowl, cream together cake mix, oil, eggs, and green food coloring. Make sure that you don’t go overboard with the food coloring, you are looking for a light to medium color green.
- After you get done mixing, wrap the top of the bowl and chill the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, you drop one Tablespoon, at a time, of dough into the bowl of confectioner’s sugar and roll into balls.
- Place on a baking sheet and just lightly press a heart candy or sprinkle into the middle (or with your finger, lightly press into the middle making a little hole, then sprinkle some small Valentine sprinkles).
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until they are set. They will look puffy when they are out of the oven, but once cool, they will be settle down looking like cookies.
- Let them cool on a plate or wire rack for 2 minutes. Then voila!! You have made the Grinch cookies!!
I promise you these cookies do not disappoint! They are so good!! Everyone will be asking you for more and how you made these! So, I hope you enjoy and I would love to hear how these cookies turned out for you! I will see you in the next post!