We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Recently, I have been talking about being on a path of healthy eating and fitness, so I figured that I would share with you all one of my family’s FAVORITE dishes. It’s kid friendly and husband friendly. See, we got this little cookbook when we got our portion containers. We purchased our portion containers through Amazon, which I will share the link with you all.
They send you a recipe book by e-mail, so that is convenient for this busy mama. However, this is where I got the main component recipe from, but I did add my own variants to this, which I will share. This is one of those recipes that you can set it and forget it, which is nice. Also, this recipe does make a lot, so we ended up vacuuming some in a bag and freezing it for a later time. So, with no further ado, here is the recipe:
3-4 lbs. of boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup to 1 cup of Valentina Mexican Sauce
2 cups Salsa
2 tbsp. of chopped garlic
1/2 bag to full bag of fajita vegetables
1/4 cup of Mexican Shredded Cheese
1 bag of Whole Wheat Soft Taco Tortillas (we used the brand Mission)
- Put the first four ingredients into the crockpot. (TIP: We used a slow cooker liner to save time on cleaning, but you do not have to use the liner if you don’t want to.)
- Turn the slow cooker on LOW heat for 6-8 hours. Once the chicken is almost done (about 20-30 minutes before), start to saute the fajita vegetables until they are tender (this takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the heat of your stove…we cooked ours about medium to medium-high heat).
- When the chicken is done, take the chicken out and shred it.
- Once you have shredded the chicken, put the chicken back into the crockpot and stir it to combine it with the sauce.
- Now it’s time to make your taco. First, lay out 1 tortilla, then layer the chicken, cheese, and fajita vegetable. Finally, we rolled ours up since this was for our meals throughout the week, but you can eat as a taco or a burrito. Enjoy!
And, there you have it folks, simple and easy. Again, this is one of our favorites because it’s an exciting lunch rather than just a plain ole sandwich. I act like Usagi from Sailor Moon and get so excited that I jump up and down that I can eat the full taco of fajita chicken and still be able to be on track with my nutrition and fitness goals!! Well, I hope you enjoyed reading and I am already starting to work on some nerdy things that I will be sharing with you hopefully in the next week or so! As always, I hope you follow me and subscribe! Have a great weekend and I will see you in the next post!